Sunday, May 09, 2010

Raavan: Not exactly what you expect from a Mani-Rahman Combo

Having come back to writing on my blog after such a long time, you'd think I'd write something more classy than movies to start with - something like health or current hot topics in India like the Maoist scenario or the Ajmal Kasab case or even the poor performance of India in T20 World Cup. But dumb as I am, I will stick to what I am good at discussing - and that's movies and music (especially bollywood). The rest can come in the next few posts.


If you have gone through my previous posts, you probably already know that I am an ardent listener of Rahman's music but what I have never spoken about is that I love watching Mani Rathnam's movies (ever since I have watched Roja) and eagerly wait for each and every movie that he produces/directs. Since Rahman's an usual in Mani's movies, it comes as an icing on the cake or as it we'd like to say it in hindi - "Sone pe Suhaaga". Rahman has always given his best music for Mani Rathnam and so the expectations are always high and why not? Just look at the track record - Roja, Bombay, Thiruda Thiruda (Chor Chor), Iruvar, Dil Se, Alaipayuthey (Saathiya), Yuva and Guru. All of them had awesome music so why wouldn't we expect the upcoming Raavan to enchant us in the very same way?

But, maybe Rahman found a better partner in Danny Boyle post-Slumdog and Mani is no more his favorite producer.It does seem that way because when I heard the Raavan soundtrack for the first time, all I could hear was noise. When the trailer of the song Beera was aired, it acted like an appetizer and everyone was wanting for more but when 'more' finally came, I am not sure I am satisfied. I understand that its characteristic of Rahman's music that it gradually grows on you with time and once it does grow on you, its got an extensive durability and therefore stays with you for a long long time and so I listened to the soundtrack a couple of times and I have to say that a few of them did stand out but not all of them.

Beera Beera for one is definitely one of the better tracks and I think I am gradually liking it a lot. Khili Re portrays the versatility of the composer showcasing a completely Hindustani( the classical style and not the movie) type of music with a bit of fusion - quite lovable. Same goes for Behne De and Ranjha Ranjha - both of them are pretty good compositions but that's just 4 of 6. Thok de khili's got a great picturisation - really loving it but I am not sure that's a good composition or if I'd be listening to it a couple of years from now and Kata Kata is remniscent of a few songs from Thiruda Thiruda and Iruvar which were totally rhythm based and lacked the durability factor.

They say, there were a couple of tracks by Asha Bhonsle and Sonu Nigam that didnt make it to the CD because they did not quite fit to the movie's screenplay. But my take is - who cares if they did not fit to the screenplay? Is it mandatory that all songs on the Audio CD be shown in the movie? Hell, I'd love a movie without any song and dance but the point is - we dont want to see it on the screen; put it on the damn CD so that at least we can listen to it and enjoy the music. I am sure we missed out a couple of good ones which could have made listening to the soundtrack so much more satisfying.

Nevertheless, I'll say the music of Raavan is good but I am a bit disappointed 'cos it's not exactly as good as what you'd expect from a Mani- Rahman combo. It could have been so much better - but alas we'll have to do with what's on the platter.

And no matter how good or bad the music is, Raavan still stays the most awaited movie for me - the trailers just enhance the excitement. For the uninitiated, Raavan is about a Naxalite leader ( so you see I am still sticking to my favorite political topic) who has kidnapped a police officer's wife and how with time, the kidnapped understands the activities of the kidnapper in the community and realizes the gray areas between good and evil. Quite an interesting topic isn't it? And from what we get to see from the trailers, it might turn out to be an amazing viewing experience.

Trailer 1: Beera Beera



The complete song: Beera Beera




Trailer 2: Behne De




The complete song: Thok De Khili





The other songs in the movie:


Ranjha Ranjha




Khili Re




Kata Kata


No comments:

Kaiser Daily Global Health Policy Report